Monday, April 9, 2007

Counting it down

I wonder sometimes if God speeds up time for those who don't look at their watches, and slows down time for those that do. Better yet, I wonder if He speeds up time at home when work is coming and slows down time during work. Truth is, I thinks it's all perception. But I'm skipping around the point. When I focus so much on how the time is going and thinking about the time itself, I lose the whole point of time, which is to make use of it and do something worthwhile.

I'm a horrible procrastinator, and I think my perception of time has something to do with it. I look at how long I have until a project is due, and I think I have plenty of time and convince myself I can do it later. While that may be true in some cases, I end up convincing myself of that in the cases where it is not true as well. And it's because I'm looking at the time so much, analyzing it, making generalizations and measurements and choices based on time. And it's not productive.

What I need to do is just go and do and not be so much of a time analyst. Of course I'm not saying I shouldn't be time conscious, I'm just saying I should not have to convince myself to do or not do something based on the time. If it's important and it needs doing, it just should be done. And when I'm bored, there's probably something productive I could be doing, I'm just missing it or not motivated to do it unfortunately.

I'm afraid if just in simple habits and homework I become used to procrastinating, it might become the same with more important things, like relationships, or my walk with God or my job or something. I'll just tell myself I can do it later, I have all the time I need. Or later I'll find I have no time and I have to push everything else aside to do what I think is most important. I don't want that. I want to be an effective and efficient user of time, without having to constantly "watch my watch" so to speak. And I'll push hard for that to happen.

No comments: