Monday, April 30, 2007

Complaints, complaints

I get tired of hearing people complain about things so much. Life stinks, we all know that. No use throwing out repetitious groans, moans, and grudges because life has been hard to you. Life is hard for everyone, if somebody says life is easy they're either a. lying, b. really happy (a temporary blindfold to the truth), or c. selling something (lying). But seriously, life is hard sometimes and yesterday it was hard for me.
This is not the "I broke up with my girlfriend" hard, nor is it the "Someone close is really sick right now" hard. It's just one of those "I wish I could have" days. I kept thinking to myself all day as the hours went by that I had my a bad choice for time management.
So I'm booked to the brim with stuff this next week. Big service next Sunday, two projects due this week, music solo Friday, work Saturday and tomorrow, AP exams starting next week... So yesterday I was tired and knew my week was going to be up to the brim in stuff and I wouldn't have much time (don't ask why I'm sitting here now writing this instead of working, I have no answer that's not a lie or an insult to myself). That day I had church and then I could either go to a friends house for the whole afternoon before a concert (Toby Mac) at 7pm or go home. I chose, for reasons I regret now, to go to a friend's house.
The problem with this choice is I didn't really do much of anything. I kept complaining in my head about how much time I was wasting not having enough fun when I could have been doing work I desperately needed to get started. And we left for the concert (that opens doors at 6:30), at 3:30, arriving at 3:50 in line for seats... Yeah, I know... Now, a friend of mine who got there maybe 20 mins b4 the concert started got seats just to our left (not farther back, just to the left). I wouldn't have minded standing at the concert if it meant not standing for 2 hours outside the church beforehand... But people who wasted an hour and 40 minutes less got almost equal seating. That I would have taken in an instant over what we did.
So you can see where my head was that whole night. I complained in my head and I even complained to some people about it, not really complaining, just stating my grievances.
But the truth is, the concert was great. I wasn't dead tired (ok, maybe I was). But I've managed to survive the day after and looking at the schedule, it doesn't seem quite as bad as it did before. Now I'm complaining about my complaints, not because I think I made the right choice about my afternoon, but because I failed to look on the bright side and because I made my night a lot more negative than it should have been. So my two cents: quit complaining, everything will work out.

It smells so sweet outside today. The sun smiles down, I'm in the shade. I sit and think about all my friends and how good they are. But when today is yesterday, I know that things won't stay the same. But I know that the memories won't go too far. Round and round the world will turn. Lessons taught and lessons learned. Jesus gets us through the good and bad times. And lets us know that everything will be just fine. A year's passed since I wrote this song. A lot's gone right a lot's gone wrong. But I know that Jesus has been there right by my side. And I see the sun still shines. It shines outside and in my life, and I know that everything is gonna be just fine. -Relient K

No comments: