Friday, March 16, 2007

Never Enough

We never have enough time in the day to do what we wish we could. Take my story for example, the one I'm writing that I've been writing for say a year on and off. But I have a whole Friday to work on it, sure as anything I could complete it by today, and I still have quite a ways to go just in finishing the writing (and then comes editing and editing and more editing). But what makes it so long is that fact that it's a choose your own adventure story, for every page there is a choice, and for every choice there is another path. So once I'm done all the editing, I've still got to interconnect all these pieces to make my web of chains and chains of events and events of endings. But yeah, you get the point. Basically, it's a lot of work. And maybe if I was committed to sitting down for a full day to do nothing but eat, use the bathroom, and write I could get it done. But so far there are just too many other distractions and things that need doing that I can't.
And the same goes for us as sinners (myself especially). We can try and try to be committed to being righteous and following the right ways, but there's just too much going against us and by default we will never be perfect. We aren't good enough to get into heaven because we were born to sin, just like I was born to be distracted from work by mindless things, even work I'm motivated to do such as my writing. Same idea. We can be so motivated to doing the right thing, but the next thing we know we're back in the slump of sin, doing mindless things we thought we'd steer clear from.

Some people might say "I will never be perfect, so why even try? I may as well not even aim to be good. It's not worth it." This is like saying "I'll never be able to sit down and write for a whole day straight without distractions, so why even bother trying to write the book?" What would that mean if every author said that? No amazing titles like Worldly Philosophers, Jude the Obscure, or How Democratic Is The American Constitution? would have been produced. What a shame that would have been...

I choose to believe that striving to be pure and holy as Christ encourages produces good things on earth and stores treasures we will one day reap in heaven. Like my book for example, which may not be completed tomorrow or even this weekend (sadly) but will someday be completed and it will be awesome, guaranteed.

1 comment:

AKBogert said...

Idk if this meant that you messed up or anything, but regardless, I'd say you should check my latest blog. Needless to say, I did mess up, but that was yesterday. Today--tomorrow--I'm ready for something new.