Sunday, March 18, 2007

Getting thin (metaphorically)

So has there ever been anything down in the deepest depths of your soul that you wanted. Like being physically fit perhaps (whatever level that may be). We all really want it, and at certain points when we are serious we look at what we have to offer and are willing to compromise to make that want become a reality (in this case, sacrificing time to workout or food to eat healthy).

But we all have those other days. Those days where all we can think about is that huge piece of cheesecake in the freezer, or that awesome movie you want to watch (which happens to be at the time you normally exercise). What do you do? You do what all humans by nature do: eat the cheesecake and watch the movie. You know deep inside you want to be thinner or stronger, but right now that doesn't matter because the [insert favorite junk food here] just smells and tastes so good, and that movie is just too good to be postponed until later.

There's something like that going on in my life. Let's just say I have my own desire to be thinner (so to speak) and my own cheesecake in the way, just for symbolism's sake. How do I stop it? Do I find more desire? Do I take away the cheesecake altogether (which in my case is almost impossible)? Or something else? You guessed it, it's something else...

They say that when you eat no artificial sugar, natural sugars in fruits are twice as sweet. So if I could stop myself from eating cheesecake and other sweets, good foods would begin to taste just as good or better. I would be a lot more healthy (remember, symbolism here). If I went back to junk food after a long period of withdrawal, it would taste a lot worse. Soda would be syrupy and a lot of sugary foods would be just too much, naturally. The habit builds itself a defense system.

So basically, if I can keep the habit up I've got my answer. If that doesn't work, some would suggest reminding yourself how fat you will be or are if you continue to eat badly. I prefer to look ahead, showing myself what things will be like if I stop, and rather than depress me instead motivate and encourage me to move toward a goal I can envision and one that I truly have a desire and a commitment to make reality.