Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Confidence: Striking a Medium

Everything has its extremes. Take weight lifting. You lift next to no weight, you gain no muscle. You lift too much weight, you blow your muscles. Either way, the extremes bring little to no productivity in what you do, thus you look for a medium weight that fits just right. Sort of like the "3 Little Bears" idea, except more applicable. Think about this in terms of messing up. I've messed up, in fact I messed up real bad today. And this happened mainly because of extremes, extremes in my level of confidence about where I am.
I love to compare. I look at others to rank myself probably more times than I can count in a day, however subtly it may be. And most of the time, I rank myself pretty high on the list in comparison. Whether it be a certain talent, intelligence, wisdom, or maturity, I in my mind think I'm better. This boosts my confidence. While confidence isn't a bad thing, pride certainly is, and it blinded me to my own problems. I forgot that I was just as vulnerable to mess up as everyone else, and I let my guard down to temptation. And I got hit hard. But the same can happen the other way so it seems.
Imagine your in the same situation, comparing yourself with everyone else, except now you realized you've messed up. You see everyone else's shining faces and think how horrible you are. So you ask yourself "Why should I even try?" and you give up. Same results.

What do we need? Find a medium between the two. Don't be discouraged by sin, but don't live thinking you'll ever be good enough to avoid it yourself.

Galatians 6:9
So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goeth
before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

No comments: