Sunday, March 25, 2007

The good good and the bad good

So there's to types of pleasure (good) in this world. There's the good that is good for you, and there's the good that's bad for you. I ask myself the question over and over why we always choose the good bad. Like candy. We choose that over fresh fruit. Even though the healthy fruit tastes good and is beneficial for our bodies, we choose the candy that tastes good but is unhealthy in the long run. Well, the same thing goes with just about everything else.

Every time I choose that candy I think I should just forget about trying to "eat healthy". I think I should just indulge and keep eating chocolate and donuts and other junk food, because I've convinced myself there's no way I can get out of it. Well, I know there is, but I want to think there isn't so I can just give up and enjoy.

I was watching a college basketball game tonight. I've watched about five or six endings of these games, and they all end the same way. Either it's overtime or near the end of the 2nd half and the one team is down like 3 points. They work hard, but the other team gets further and further away in the score, and time is running out. I look at the clock and think this is stupid, it's impossible for them to win. Why are they even trying? But they do, they play their hearts out even when there's 15 seconds on the clock and they're down by 10 points. It's insane, and they can't win, but they act like it's a 1 point game.

I want to be like that losing NCAA team. I want to play like I can win even when I think I can't. I want to play my heart out at whatever challenge faces me. I can sit on the sidelines and write about it all I want, but the truth is I need to get out there and play when the score is against me. But the difference between me and that team is that it's not impossible to win. In fact, I'm ahead in the score. Half of the challenges I'm facing don't require anything of me, they actually require me to do something to fail. If I choose not to do it, I made the layup at the buzzer. I win. That simple.

I will win this.

No comments: