Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mess

Take a jar, a piece of paper, a pencil, and some scissors. Write down something on that piece of paper: a line, a paragraph, an essay, but make it something that makes sense and means something. Maybe it took you seconds to think of, minutes, hours even to put it together, but its on paper now and its a coherent masterpiece. Now, take your scissors and cut out your writing into fragments, whether they be sentences, words, phrases, even letters, and collect the pieces. Put all the pieces in your jar, close the lid, and shake violently. Now open the jar and spread the contents out on the table face up. What do you have?

A mess.

What you have is a bunch of letters, words, or phrases that in their current form are utterly useless and incomprehensible but were once something coherent and practical. What you have is a depiction in the physical form of exactly what happens when I take something I have thought of in my head, or even written down in part, and try to communicate it verbally to someone, particularly a group of people. Call it a bodily reaction to public speaking or a minor form of autism. Whatever it is, I have it, and it's driving me insane.

I can't wait for my communications class next fall...

1 comment:

AKBogert said...

My speeches suck so terribly, it's hard to imagine salvaging them.

I used to think i never had the problem you describe here, but since the beginning of this semester i've learned otherwise. Which is probably one of the subconscious reasons that i've chosen to switch over fully to a communications major.

PS: I liked the roller coaster post, though i think that Mufasa would have a problem with you're statement that "life is not a circle."