Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Summer Preview

When I walked into summer preview I didn't quite know what was going to happen. I didn't know if I would find many people to talk to, as I remember many times me going to a college visit and finding nobody willing to come up and talk without invitation. The last thing I want is to go into orientation knowing nobody.

But the thing is, we have something my parents never had or even a few generations before us never had. Facebook has provided a way to meet and chat with tons of people going to the same college. I had chatted quite a bit on this site, but that didn't change my attitude. It's one thing to chat online, another completely to meet them in person. I found ways to think of how seeing them on Facebook could make the conversations even more awkward than meeting for the first time.

Fortunately for me, I'm not half as bad at making conversation as I used to be. Two people (best friends actually) I recognized on Facebook and pretty much instantly found a connection with. Long story short I almost spent too much time with them, but I did push myself to make casual friendships and acquaintances with others. What I found most amazing was the number of card games we played that night and the tolerance all of them had for learning them. I was pleasantly surprised by the whole weekend.

A weekend of meeting knew people doesn't come without its awkward moments however. I remember one conversation I fell into when walking out of Alexander Dining Hall.

Girl: "I KNOW YOU FROM FACEBOOK! *points finger at me*"

Dave: "Uh... yeah that's me." *walks over* "I'm Dave, what's your name?"

Girl: "Hanna, but every I know calls me Anna. Yeah I definitely remember you from facebook."

Dave: "Yeah, I've posted a lot on the Class of 2011 group. I think I remember seeing you there."

Hanna: "Yep. You live near here?" *turns to girl she previously was talking to* "Yeah, everybody says I'm really cute."

Dave: "No, actually."

Hanna: "WHAT!! YOU DON'T THINK I'M CUTE?! EVRYBODY THINKS I'M CUTE!

Dave: "No, I um..."

Hanna: "HOW CAN YOU RESIST THIS FACE?" *makes a cute face*

Dave: "That's not what I meant..."

Hanna: "I'm not friends gonna be friends with you anymore Dave."


Enough said... I never quite lived that down, even though she was only being half serious. I guess some people think it's funny or "cute" (hehe) but I take things too seriously sometimes and frankly don't quite know how to react in those situations. Live and learn I guess.

As for roommates, I came in looking to become good friends with someone and choose to room with them. Turns out I ended up just wanting to leave it up to chance or fate rather. I had an offer or two for roommates, but I didn't know enough to commit like that. I found there's plenty of people to meet that I wouldn't mind rooming with and I figure I want to see how they match me up with the preference form. Plus, I want the option of rooming with a person in the honors program. So yeah...

All in all I thought it was a great time. A few too many generalized lectures, but overall really surpassed my doubtful expectations. Now I can't wait to get to Geneva in the fall.

1 comment:

AKBogert said...

So...Hanna and her cute face are getting old.

Need some fresh reading material. Or a preview of your story.