Sunday, June 3, 2007

Two dogs

An old wise tale recently told to me goes something like this:

Once there was a Native American elder. He once told his tribe very plainly "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all of the time." The tribe listened intently to his short tale, and with curiosity, they asked "Which dog wins?" After a brief moment of reflection he replied "The one I feed the most."

There is a part of the story that goes unmentioned, but for me it is implied. I've never let the dogs die. I feed one or the other for some time and they wound each other day in and day out. Sometimes they get severely beaten, but every time I will bring them back with a defibrillator or some sort of pick me up. I've seen them both on the deathbed, but they always come back.

I want the good dog to win, so the solution is obvious. But can I do it? Yes. Will I do it? Yes. The bad dog needs to die.

1 comment:

xab said...

Isn't it from George Bernard Shaw? I like the quote so much, but i'll like to say from where it comes when i post it.