Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What do we put first?

If you know anything about the world of video games, you'll know that Halo 3 was released Monday night 12:01am at stores nationwide for the mad rush of people to go and buy and stay up all hours of the night playing. I am happy to say I wasn't one of those people, though I did join in later in the day Tuesday for some 4 player co-op and LAN multiplayer action. The game had record breaking first day sales with I believe over 2 million pre-ordered copies already before the night of release. The numbers are staggering to think about.

After seeing the passion with which these people talked about the game before it came out, went to all lengths to get the game (standing in line for hours at Gamestop/Best Buy/Wal-Mart), and stayed up all night to play it, it makes me wonder what they really put first.

I find it hard to put God first sometimes. I'll say I love Him, I'll say He's more important to me than anything, I'll talk the talk, and everything... but I still question if I'm really putting Him first. I mean, I don't even spend 10 minutes everyday with Him outside of prayer. I haven't kept a consistent Bible Study. It seems many times I go to Him or refer to Him only when I have some need or problem, like God is only there to work for me and give me stuff. I get concerned about myself and I work to try and fix my attitude and question my heart.

And then I look at these people, whose lives at some times seem to revolve around fun and games and pleasure of that nature. They may kid about being obsessed, but I don't because I take it seriously sometimes. I think it goes without saying that where we put our time is where our hearts are. Sometimes when I've spent way too much time doing something very selfish or wasteful, I say to myself "well, I know I would give it up if I had to for something more important. I'd give up all video games in a heartbeat for God." Thing is, since I don't have to, I don't ever, and these desires of mine always take precedence.

Maybe this doesn't apply to you, but I can guarantee that if I asked my group friends two nights ago to, after purchasing the game, come back and do a 10 minute devotion or prayer beforehand to show that God is more important than a game, they would look at me like I was crazy. It's a sad reality, but it's true nonetheless. And it's not something we can go around condemning of other people either, it's a realization that comes from within each person. I've realized it, and I'm committed to putting God first above all my other desires, a commitment I know I'll have to repeat over and over each day for the rest of my life as I work to put God in control of my life.

3 comments:

AKBogert said...

So first, thank you for finally posting something new :)

Second...read my blog. We kinda align.

Third, totally true as usual.

Fourth, you probably wouldn't have written this if you owned a 360/weren't a Sony fanboy ;)

Dave The Prophet said...

Actually, I don't claim any alliance to the PS3 or Sony. If I had to allign myself, it would be for the PC, I don't really have a favorite console. But I've already played my share of Halo 3 already and though it is amazing in multiple areas, I don't know that I've ever been quite as obsessed with any game as these guys have. It scares me. Hence the blog (partly).

AKBogert said...

Haha what i mean is that, had you ever owned an XBOX or 360, and thus grown up with it as your major source of gaming for the last several years, you probably wouldn't have even thought to criticize their fervor :)